No matter how smart you are or how well you know your industry, if you can’t make sales, your precious dream of being a business owner will not last very long.
There are countless books, videos, and courses on this subject, but rarely any of them speak about the current climate of online business. But don’t you worry, we have a few tips that will help you become an online selling machine:
- Make Customers Feel Like Insiders: People love feeling like they have an advantage over others. They love being part of a movement or an exclusive club, something bigger than themselves. Plenty of businesses like Starbucks and Amazon have used this philosophy to produce more sales and it has grown their businesses exponentially.
So how does this apply to your business? Simple: You can use your newsletter (like Bloomforth’s newsletter app for instance) to offer deals to just those who are part of it. Or you can have an online membership program where customers can whatever they want before everyone else for a flat or reoccurring rate. Either way, making your customers feel like a member of an insider club will be sure to help increase sales.
- Throw Some Sugar on The Floor: This saying comes from investor Charlie Munger when it comes to incentivizing your customers. He says, “If you want ants to come, throw some sugar on the floor.” What he means is that people love an incentive. No one is going to want to purchase anything from you unless you are doing something for them.
Just like when you were a kid and you went to the doctor to get a shot and the doctor gave you a lollipop afterward, the same applies to your customer. Give them an incentive, a reason, or a reward of some sort if they purchase your product or service. Maybe it is donating a portion of the sales to a charity, charging an extremely low price for something that costs boatloads, or promising something that will enhance your customer’s life. Almost every company does this, and their online sales increase as a result.
- Be The Ultimate Giver: When it comes to sales, most companies throw their products/services and their offers in the customers face. It is always either a big popup when you visit their website or an annoying YouTube ad pressuring the consumer to buy from them.
That style may have worked in the early 20th century, but it doesn’t work anymore. As stated in the previous step, no one will buy from you if you don’t give them a reason to. When they see your ad, the consumer will think, “Well what have they done for me?!” You as a small business owner can change that through your marketing. Give out free content at every chance you get, whether it is quick tips on Facebook, or inspiring pictures and articles, doing this will show that you care about your customer and their dreams, not just their money. People who have done this, like Gary Vaynerchuk and Tai Lopez, have had massive success because of it.
- Use Reciprocity: Reciprocity bias is one of the cognitive biases in our brains when it comes to decision making. This bias means that people are willing to treat others the way they want to be treated in order to get what they want.
Using this method to become the online selling machine is simple: view yourself in the eyes of the customer. Think of what you would want to see on your website. Would you want an ad to pop up immediately when going on a website? Would you want to see a long, boring YouTube ad? Of course not, so don’t expect your customer to either. Give your customer the same online experience like you would want. Many successful businessmen, like Warren Buffett and Charlie Munger, understand this and have the success to show for it.
- Understand Marketing: Most people when they go into business think marketing and sales are similar. Although they do have some commonalities, they are far from the same. Even if you are pretty good at sales, it is worthless if you don’t know marketing. You do not have to be an expert, but have some knowledge in it or get experts around you to help you because, without marketing, your online sales will deteriorate.
Any machine needs the proper tuning and help in order to get the gears running and achieve the task that needs to be done. We understand that sales is a tough concept to understand and put into action, but these tips have worked for many of great businessmen including those mentioned and Mark Cuban. Hopefully, these tips should help ease that stress and hopefully will make it easier to become the online sales machine you dream of being.
Now go out there and sell!